globe derby park

history

First reference to trotting in South Australia. Thoroughbred mare “Norah”, owned and ridden by Police Inspector Alexander Tolmer trots 17 miles in 52 minutes 2 seconds for a wager for 120 pounds.

1846

On New Years Day a race meeting at Victoria Park includes a trotting race of 3 miles. C Swinden’s “Piebald” beats nine other starters

1878

The first SA Trotting Club is formed and a meeting held with headquarters at Victoria Park. The sport progresses slowly in a few country centres and is only seen in Adelaide at the Royal Show.

1880

South Australian Trotting Association is formed.

1919

On 6 November the Association receives Government approval and the first night trotting meeting is held at Jubilee Oval, situated behind the University of Adelaide. The sport becomes an immediate success with 7,000 spectators turning out. The first horse to capture the publics imagination is a mare called “Pokohontas” which was raced and driven by the late Fred Warning.

1920

A Bill is passed in Parliament allowing bookmakers betting on course.

1933

The first meeting of the South Australian Trotting Association with Bookmakers on course is conducted on 27 January at the Wayville Showgrounds.

1934

South Australian Trotting Association changes its name to the South Australian Trotting Club.

1935

South Australian Trotting Club holds first Inter Dominion at Wayville following the first every held Inter Dominion in Western Australia in

1937

The formation of the SA TAB occurs on 30 March following legislation passed allowing off course betting.

1967

Official Opening of Globe Derby Park (name after famous Standardbred Stallion). Holds its first afternoon meeting on 24 June through the efforts of many of the Harness Racing fraternity of South Australia.

1969

Wayville ceases to be the South Australian Trotting Club’s racing venue and the Club holds its first metropolitan night meeting at Globe Derby Park on 14 April. The final meeting on the tiny Wayville Showground circuit is held the previous week after over 30 years of Standardbred racing.

1973

South Australian Trotting Club administration office moves to Globe Derby Park.

1977

The Club changes its name to the South Australian Harness Racing Club.President: W A HendersonSecretary: G W Eglinton (Longest serving Secretary/General Manager)

1989

President Peter Marshall is successful in securing membership of the Australian Harness Council for the Club which allows the Club representation at AHRC meetings and full voting rights.

1996

The South Australian Harness Racing Club, for the first time in Australia and New Zealand, holds the Inter Dominion Trotters and Pacers final on the same night and is the first Australian Harness Racing Club to stage the Inter Dominion without a rail.

1997

2 GLOBE DERBY DRIVE,GLOBE DERBY PARK, SA 5110 AUSTRALIA

E. akramer@sahrc.com.au P. (08) 82582522

©2018 by Haynes Signs.

  • Facebook